Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: BitchX /ignore bug

From: courcoul () CAMPUS QRO ITESM MX (Juan M. Courcoul)
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 17:08:03 -0500

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Bluefish wrote:

Is it the teachers' fault, can anyone be blamed? More
importantly, is there anything (short of Java, or any change in language)
that can be done about it?

My experience from 2 years of undergraduate master of science eductation,
is that there's never any mentioning of "insecure" programming. In the
computer security course I took there was some mentioning of buffert
overflows and similar threats, but isn't enough to ensure that code is
written moderately well. And the security course is entirely optional.

Actually, I fear it's the same at most universities. The avarage computer
science students leaves his/her education with hardly any knowledge of
security, and if (s)he has been taught any of it, it has been too
theoretical.

Ok, I'll bite. I'm going to be teaching a one-semester course for Computer
Science undergrads this fall. It's called Operating Systems II and it's
supposed to cover Windoze (all flavors), MacOS and Unix, but since I don't
care much for Bill Gates' creations and we don't have very many Macs to
play with, I'll be making it "Unix SysAdmin 101" for all practical
purposes.

What would you recommend be covered, security-wise, in such a course ?
Bibliography would be helpful.

J. Courcoul                               courcoul () campus qro itesm mx
Servicios Computacionales                 Directo    (4) 238-3181
ITESM Campus Queretaro                    Secretaria (4) 238-3175
Queretaro, Qro. Mexico                    Sky (800) 723-4500 PIN 5597110