Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: HP LaserJet 4 Series Jet Direct (and others)

From: joel () DIGGY COM AU (Joel Michael)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 13:55:43 +1000

I would consider this a DOS, because, as you said, it can easily run out
of toner/paper.  Another potential problem is if someone pushes
something offensive down to the printer, and just leaves it for the next
person to pick up.

This isn't limited to HP LaserJet's.  I have a secondhand Kyocera
FS-3500 with some kind of network interface that I know nothing about,
except that it has an FTP server in it - you can ftp a document to be
printed.  It also has SMB, IPX and AppleTalk, but I can't figure 'em out
(if anyone knows ANYTHING about what i'm talking about, PLEASE contact
me!).

This has just got me thinking.  I wonder if there's anything else more
nasty that you can do to these types of printers, e.g. buffer overflows,
that will crash the printer and require it to be reset?  But, then
again, who gives printers publicly available, un-firewalled IP
addresses?:-)

--
Joel Michael, who is going to run nmap over his printer when he gets
home...