Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Another new worm???

From: mwshaffer () YAHOO COM (Michael W. Shaffer)
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 23:09:04 -0700

I've held a variety of coding and admin positions in the last decade, and
just recently I've taken a new position as hostmaster/postmaster for a
moderately sized divisional network. I am evaluating a variety of
antivirus and content filtering products, but while perusing dozens of
informational, research, and link sites concerned with viruses I have not
found even one link to any sort of open source scanning engine project.
There are a number of things (AMaViS, et.al.) that claim to be 'free
virus scanners', but they all seem to amount to nothing more than wrapper
scripts that rely on one or more commercial scanning engines to do their
work.

It seems to me that there is a great opportunity for development of an
actual open source scan engine and a companion signature/pattern
database. I would think there would be considerable benefit to the
sysadmin/research/development communities concerned with virus prevention
if some sort of central forum for collecting, validating, and
disseminating useful virus information and samples could be established.
I guess I'm thinking of a 'Maps RBL' for viruses.

Are you aware of any projects that are addressing this issue at present,
or do you think there is a useful place in the community for someone to
throw up a site and start trying to hack something together?