Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

(AUSCERT#49484) Re: lovethingy spread analyses

From: luci () AUSCERT ORG AU (David Conran)
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 16:58:47 +1000

Not using the word "love" in subject, because then all the patched mailers wi
ll
shit on me because i am trying to spread the lovebug virus...hehehe

Just a quick, short note:

I was thinking about "the virus originated in South East Asia" statement.
Hmmm.. if you look at the spread of the virus, you will find that it coincide
with sunlight. Really. It uses people to spread - to read the email and execu
te
the attachment, right? And most people need to be awake to read their email
(there's the exception...:)) So if you look at the spread of the virus, you
will see it hitting South EAST Asia, EASTERN Euope, Africa and Europe, and th
en
the States - thus is travels with the sun. If the reports are coming in from
Australia tomorrow, then we know the *main* spread has travel around the
globe...and it suggests that it all started in the East..It will spin around
the world with the sun..secondary infection in +- 24h?

Just an interesting observation. Maybe someone like the CERTs could provide
very usefull information on reports etc? Anyone on here that has done analyse
of this kind before?

Regards,
Roelof.

Roelof W Temmingh             SensePost IT security
roelof () sensepost com               +27 83 448 6996
              http://www.sensepost.com

AusCERT (ie. Australia) received its first report of the worm at approx. 9pm
on the 4th of May 2000 (GMT+1000), we received reports from the US just
before midnight on the 4th (again GMT+1000) and then the excrement really
hit the airator within Australia at approx. 8:30am on 5th of May 2000
(GMT+1000). We pushed our Alert on the topic around 10:30am on 5th of May 2000
(GMT+1000). Since then ... well, lets just say it been a heavy day in both
incidents and press activity.

David

- --
Australian Computer Emergency Response Team  Hotline: +61 7 3365 4417
(AusCERT)                                    Fax:     +61 7 3365 7031
The University of Queensland                 WWW:     www.auscert.org.au
Qld 4072 Australia                           Email:   auscert () auscert org au