Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ethernet cards & promisc mode

From: Michael.Wojcik () MERANT COM (Michael Wojcik)
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 10:00:14 -0700

It happens.  Some older IBM PCMCIA (this was before PCMCIA became "PC Card"
- a stupid name change anyway) Ethernet and Token Ring cards didn't support
promiscuous mode.  It just wasn't included in the chipset, presumably
because that let them cut a few more corners in the design.

It's possible that bargain-basement no-name Ethernet cards won't have
promisc support.  Check the technical support web pages for companies that
sell sniffing software - they should list cards that lack it.  (We found out
about the IBM cards from the support information for a product called
"LanSleuth" - I think the manufacturer is www.ssi.com, or something like
that.)

No-name cards are usually clones of popular basic-function cards, like
NE2000s (or at least they were back in the days when I was buying them), so
the stock Linux drivers should work fine.

Michael Wojcik             michael.wojcik () merant com
MERANT
Department of English, Miami University