Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Egress checking (was Re: Networking theories)

From: stpeters () NETHEAVEN COM (Dick St.Peters)
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 23:29:12 -0400

ISPs *should* be doing egress checking.  We've been doing it for more
than 4 years.  We not only block foreign-source packets, we log every
one blocked and track down the perpetrators.

(The overwhelming majority of such packets are from leaking VPNs.
Most "perpetrators" are just victims of lousy software, but we've
uncovered a few not-so-benign cases.)

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters () NetHeaven com

Matthew King writes:
Not many ISP or providers actually do that kind of egress checking.. I do
not know of many here in Oz that do.

Cya
Matthew