Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: QPOP2.5* exploit ??

From: hdm () SECUREAUSTIN COM (H D Moore)
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 15:53:35 -0500

Ryan Sweat wrote:

     this has been found in the wild, however there seems to be a
trojan in the shellcode.  Popper 2.5* has been thought to be safe.  I
would not reccomend running this on your own machine unless you crack
the shellcode and see what it does.

Qpopper 2.5* safe?  I think not.  I have seen more than a few boxes
cracked via publicly available exploits for the 2.53 version.  I will
tear apart the shell code buffer when I get time...

-HD

http://www.secureaustin.com

PS.  Demonstration tool for the linux 2.2 masq problem (masqed udp
connection / external side rewrite) available on the site.  It requires
tcpdump (ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov) and the nemesis toolkit
(http://www.packetfactory.net).