Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Blind Remote Buffer Overflow

From: mpotter () ATPCO COM (Matthew R. Potter)
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 23:24:30 -0400

At 08:06 PM 4/30/00 -0300, you wrote:
How does one tell the diffrence in architechture remotely, when the OS runs
on multiple architechtures? Other than just taking a stab at it untill it
well.. if it is a unix system and you have access to the shell, the uname
-a command will do the trick:

$ uname -a
Linux intra 2.0.33 #2 Thu Dec 11 14:08:32 MET 1997 i586 unknown
I'm not talking with a shell ;) I'm talking about telling the diffrence
between say, netbsd on
sparx,x86, and alpha platforms. when you dont have shell. and to make it
harder.. lets say telnet dosent display that nice littel banner:

*BSD(sparc)

I guess I should have made my question clearer. I'm aware of how
fingerprinting tcp/ip/ works, etc..

Matt