Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Automatic Retaliation contra DoS

From: d14z1n0n () HOTMAIL COM (Kang Fu)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 05:10:57 GMT

IMHO...
ANY sort of a retaliatory attack can be used against the person implementing
it...  While the case of attacking only completed sessions helps some I do
know that if I personally was doing such scans and I noticed your response,
I couldn't help but to have a little fun ;)

If I as the attacker used a strong firewall, then your reverse attack would
do nothing but draw my attention to your IP.  For myself, that would make
you a much more inviting target.  I would have to wonder what you were
protecting.  Definitely it would spark my curiosity to try to find ways I
could to take advantage of, or hack into, your setup.  Obviously if you were
responding with attacks I could assume your not using Windows right off...
And as well, your breaking the law by retaliating so I have little fear of
consequence at that point.

And if you were well enough secured that I couldn't hack you, then maybe I'd
just DoS you until I got bored.

Which one is more fun?  The dead fish or the live one?