Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: reverse engineer c or java

From: 11a () GMX NET (Bluefish)
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 21:12:34 +0200

ps. i've heard of a project to reverse binaries compiled with turbo pascal
7.0 back into source, but i think that it failed

IIRC Turbo Pascal produces quite easy code (probably because it doesn't
optimize very much ;) so there's no reason why it should fail (as long as
you assume the code doesn't contain inline assembly).

But I'd say that creating a decomiler is much more work than creating a
compiler (which I from experience know is a quite hard task) so it is very
possible the developers simply realised that it was a bigger effort than
they had the time and will to do.

     http://www.11a.nu || http://bluefish.11a.nu
    eleventh alliance development & security team