Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: news story and router passwords

From: Mathias Wegner <mwegner () cs oberlin edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 23:07:31 -0400

Sniffing router passwords including the "Enable" password for a Cisco router
is easy.

        If the victim router isn't running an IOS version that supports
ssh or kerberos it is easy.  Of course, if the network admin is security
conscious, it gets a lot harder...

it may not have been a Cisco router as their passwords can be physically
reset at the router, therefore they may have been down for 11 hours but not
11 days.

        Even less time, in fact - once you know the procedure, it takes
almost no time at all.  When learning how to do so on a 2514, I think it
took me about 15 minutes from being locked out of enable to being running
with the orginal config register and using a new enable password.
Although the terminal directly hooked up to the console port is nice, too.

Mathias