Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: stackguard-like embedded protection

From: Hiroaki Etoh <ETOH () JP IBM COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 11:34:01 +0900

On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 13:53:08, antirez wrote:

Anyway I'm attached to this mail a trivial stackguard-like / propolice like
(but simplest than both) stack protection, that should be secure enough for
most stack smashing prblems, that can be simply embedded in programs.
It's implemented as an header file and a little .c file that must be
linked to the program.

I don't think this solution is portable to any C compiler.  Because the ordering
of local variables is very dependent of the implementation of compilers, for
example, Visual C++ by Microsoft.  I don't know the current version of GCC
compiler preserves the ordering of local variables. Therefore, I implemented
ProPolice at the intermediate language level.

Hiroaki Etoh,  Tokyo Research Laboratory, IBM Japan
TELEPHONE: +81-46-215-5066 FAX: +81-462-73-7413