Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Winnt/Win2k Vuln ?

From: "J.D. Meek" <jdmeek () edgenet com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 15:04:11 -0500

Works on Win2k SP2 as well.  This could cause some mischief.  ;-}

J.D.

"Rio Martin." wrote:

I could confirm this, as long as you put executeable file in desktop, then
you will be able to open it. Extension .BAT wont run. Only .COM will run.
I also try to rename the file to www.somekind.org and it just showing "Open
With ..." window.

Regards,
Rio Martin.
http://marsud.org/

_
"Red Pantz" <redpantz () crackdealer com> wrote something like this:
Hello all,
I have found that if you name a file (can be any data file) a certain URL,
on your desktop, and then g0 to IE and type that url, the web site will not
come up, only the program that was named the certain.confusing?
i.e.
- copy autoexec.bat to ..\desktop
- rename autoexec.bat to www.google.com (can be any url)
- then go to IE and type "www.google.com"
- your batch file is then ran
a few issues i have w/ this is:
- the prog will only run if it is on your desktop
- if you type "http://www.google.com";, for example
  it will not run(unless u name your file the same thing)
- it has only been tested on Win2k SP1, Winnt 4.0 SP6a w/ IE 5.5
- it doesn't seem to have any privelage escalation (all progs are run as
the current user logged on)
Just want a few others to try it and see wut they think
thanx alot
redpantz