Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: A Strang bug using Ctrl-N, perhaps a way to deny service on a shell

From: Erik Fichtner <techs () obfuscation org>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 13:25:39 -0500

On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 02:22:27AM -0500, Ben Allen wrote:
I've found a bug. I'm not sure what the bug is in. Since it is so widely
found I can't find out what it is.

It's not a bug. it's a (legacy) feature.

Ctrl-N is the ASCII "Shift-Out Charset" code.   On really old equipment,
this would cause the print head to shift to an alternate character set
for printing interesting characters.   VT100's and such implement this
as well.

Control-O is the ASCII "Shift-In Charset" code.  It reverses Control-N.

--
                        Erik Fichtner; Unix Ronin
                    http://www.obfuscation.org/techs/