Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Icq 2000 ads

From: 3APA3A <3APA3A () SECURITY NNOV RU>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:24:23 +0300

Hello Taylan,

1.  The  component  which  generates  ad  is  ICQ AteBrowser. Probably
there's  no way to remove this component (ICQAteB.ocx) without loosing
functionality.  This  component  isn't modified since installation, so
it's not a kind of spyware.

2. Information about ad is stored in user database file. For example I
can find a lot of "AteToOpen" messages in my database files...

3.  Ad  is  downloaded  from  web  and  stored cache in ICQ\AteBrowser
folder.  Applying  security  permission  for  this  folder  to prevent
writing will stop the ad, but not window by itself.

I  will be very grateful if someone will be able to find where exactly
in  .dat (or may be .idx? ) file ICQ stores information about ad to be
shown. But it's offtopic.

--
./3APA3A
Сэр Исаак Ньютон открыл, что яблоки падают на землю. (Твен)