Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: buffer overflow - fundamentals

From: rpc <h () ckz org>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 00:42:55 UTC

visi0n is correct. this is a heap overflow because the variable is global, thus
stored in the .bss section. this was probably not what the original author
intended.

--rpc

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001 20:35:22 +0100, honoriak said:

visi0n wrote:

 >         This is a heap overflow, look for traceroute advisory.

 it's a buffer overflow. not heap i think; in the source code i can see char
 buff[2]; and not malloc() or new *char[2].. if it was c++.
 a lot of good texts about buffer overflows and format bugs you can see at:

 http://julianor.tripod.com by juliano rizzo from core SDI.

             -honoriak