Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Win32.Sircam.Worm Alert.....

From: "Johnson, Greg" <JohnsonG () missouri edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 08:31:57 -0500

Friday morning I recieved an email from a friend,  it looked
as though he was sending me a .doc to look over.
To my dismay, it was a worm that had infected him.

I have found little information about this worm,  Mostly located at
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm () mm html

The Worm will come from someone that has you on there contact
list, and will have a differnt subject line determined by the
attached file.

Don't let the e-mail tip-off fool you.

In our University environment we find this and related worms spread
primarily via unprotected writeable Windows shares.  It also gets in
when a user without up-to-date anti-virus software accesses an e-mail
server other than our own which has an anti-virus filter. Bim-ba-boom!

--
Greg Johnson, MU IAT Services, 882-5008