Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Fw: Modern hw-killing virus feasible

From: Cilice Cracker <wildmail () GRATIS1 COM AR>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 14:40:56 -0300

The new technology of monitor, recognize the modelines , and turn off the
monitor in case it was found some error. My monitor (TeleVideo SV210)
have that characteristic.

=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=

Sorry, but my english is so bad.... If you was found some error,
insult me :-)

--------You wrote:----------
I'd like to ask about the possibility of a virus damaging a monitor....

Reading from page 228 of the SuSe book that came with retail 6.4 (US
edition)...  "Unless you have in-depth knowledge... nothing should be
changed in the modelines, since this could cause severe damage to your
monitor."

Isn't there a *possibility* that someone could change the modelines, via a
Linux virus, that would "cause severe damage to your monitor".

(Granted, currently Linux viruses are far less common than viruses for
other platforms, but I expect we will see more as time goes on. <sigh>)

Also... There has been a running thread in the alt.comp.virus.source.code
newsgroup regarding the topic of "Can a Virus Damage Hardware".  The
general consensus seems to be that it may be possible, but it hasn't been
done yet.

-------
Magores
"At the risk of being offensive, I think you need a little soap." -- David
Gemmel