Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: /usr/bin/Mail buffer 0verfl0w

From: Syzop <syz () DDS NL>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 16:33:00 +0100

Hi,

"Lord_Ph@ntom" wrote:

---cut---
Mail version 8.1 6/6/93.  Type ? for help.
N  1 phantom@wraith.serwe  Mon Mar  5 20:27  22/766   "a"
& t 0x2240
0: Invalid message number
& t 0 x 2240
0: Invalid message number
& t 000000000000000000000000000[...]
0: Invalid message number
&
---cut---

hmm... I have also Debian 2.2 ...

Try more zero's then (quick counted: 2500 is enough for segfault,
1500 is enough for segfault after next command)
Oh, and one thing: just many zero's give you the same result,
you can drop the 't ' :).

By the way, I couldn't trace the location of the bug,
anybody else knows where it is/has a patch?
Looks like the original code was unsecure, but with patches all (I guess)
strcpy's are replaced with strncpy, and more of such stuff.

Why is mail on some systems sgid?,
It looks like it's something with locking files, but why doesn't mail
to be sgid on other systems then?

    Syzop.