Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

terminal weirdness?

From: Blake Frantz <blake () MC NET>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:40:07 -0600

I telnet'd into port 1080, pressed enter, and got disconnected...fine.
But, after I got disconnected "VT102" was displayed at my command prompt.
I figured it was just 'misplaced output' or something from telnet, but
when I hit enter I got 'command not found'.  I don't understand where
VT102 came from, and why my shell interpreted it as valid input from
STDIN.   I checked env and term=vt100.  Just to do it, I

strings `which telnet` | egrep -i "vt102"

and nothing was found.  Could this be something sent from the proxy
server?  If so, can it be changed arbitrarily (rm -r *)?

I checked a handfull of other proxy servers for the same behavior but
found nothing. I tried this from a Red Het 6.2 box and a BSDi 4.0 box,
both yeilded the same results.

Below is a snip of what happened and the results from nmap.

<snip>
[root@unix /root]# telnet x.x.x.x 1080
Trying x.x.x.x...
Connected to x.x.x.x.
Escape character is '^]'.

Connection closed by foreign host.
[root@unix /root]# VT102
bash: VT102: command not found
[root@unix /root]#
</snip>

<nmap>
Port       State       Service
67/tcp     filtered    bootps
137/tcp    filtered    netbios-ns
138/tcp    filtered    netbios-dgm
139/tcp    filtered    netbios-ssn
1080/tcp   open        socks

TCP Sequence Prediction: Class=trivial time dependency
                         Difficulty=35 (Easy)
Remote operating system guess: Windows NT4 / Win95 / Win98
</nmap>

Thanks in advance for any input.

Blake

The Government, like diapers, should be replaced regularly, and
often for the same reasons.