Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: kernel panic [linux 2.2.19-7] on UDP scan CP4.1-SP5

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 08:34:11 -0800

Yanek Korff wrote:

I'm testing out CP4.1 SP5 on Linux RH7.0.  I seem to have gotten everything
configured the way I want it and am starting to run some scans to see what I
can see.  Well, what I see is: nmap -sU -P0 ip_addr causes the machine to
instantly crash with a kernel panic, or in some cases, reboot.  I'm not
great at troubleshooting kernel/module troubles so any help would be greatly
appreciated.  IF you happen to have a Linux CP FW-1 box you could run nmap
against, I'd love to know your results (incl OS/kernel info).  Might want to
do this off-hours, though.

How about trying it with -T Paranoid or Sneaky?  That will allow you to
determine if you're hammering the state table, and if not, let you narrow
down which port number is having the problem.

                                                BB