Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ppc asm

From: KF <dotslash () snosoft com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 18:31:39 -0500

I have heard the the use of fork() can also help with a dirty
instruction cache... does anyone
else have any insight on this?
-KF

One thing I've noticed on ppc is that when you write to the stack,
you're really writing to the data cache.  Then when execution begins,
the instructions are fetched from the instruction cache -- which isn't
always the same as what you put into the data cache.  I'm not saying
that a xor decoder won't work, but you'll probably need to include a
series of cache sync instructions (dcbst,sync,icbi,isync?).  There may
also be issues when using a multiprocessor box or a 64bit box.  More
information on this can be found in the "PowerPC Microprocessor Family:
The Programming Environment" chapter 5.  This book is available in pdf
form at:

  http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/techdocs/852569B20050FF778525699600719DF2/$file/6xx_pem.pdf

--
Troy Bollinger <troy () austin ibm com>