Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Infected jpeg files?

From: "OBrien, Brennan" <BOBrien () columbia com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 07:48:26 -0800

Oh, don't misunderstand.  I'm not saying it *IS* done, I'm just saying
it CAN be done.  This method has been used in cryptography for many
years.  There's no reason it can't be applied here -- of course that
leads us back to the issue of reading the darn thing.  Just because the
disease is out there doesn't mean someone is susceptible.  Same holds
true here.

Besides, Bruce, the article refers to whether or not data *WAS* being
transmitted as a means of communications, not whether or not it COULD be
done.  If it technically were not possible, they wouldn't have bothered
with the analysis in the first place.  It further notes that it didn't
see anything as part of a dictionary search, and admits the likelihood
of steganographic data contained on Ebay was pretty low.  I'm not
disagreeing with any of this information.  Further, let's build a little
cipher ourselves, shall we?

I've got 10 images.  In these images I have codes which when examined
with the right software reveal letters/numbers.  I tell you that in a
string of locations is the letter combos you're interested in.  Boom.
Over these ten images, I've tranmitted information to you *WITHOUT*
changing the image one bit.  I'm simply using what exists to home you in
to locations which themselves are innocuous.  In the process, I've sent
you a message.

Now, I don't mind someone yanking out a silver bullet and shooting me
with it (hell, my wife does it to me all the time), but just because a
group of people tested one direction of thought doesn't mean that all
directions have been thoroughly considered and evaluated.  Sometimes the
blatantly obvious is the most overlooked -- such as using fully fueled
airplanes as missiles.

Cheers.

Brennan