Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: PalmOS crashes receiving SMS images using Handspring VisorPhone

From: "John P" <john () pmbbs demon co uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 00:46:40 +0100

Whenever it transfers the image into the VisorPhone
database, it fatally crashes PalmOS and leaves the
VisorPhone database corrupted.

When a SMS image (picture message) is sent, the phone sends typically three
SMS's in total. That's why it takes a bit longer to send. It's a bit similar
in concept to a MIME e-mail, with one part specifiying the image, and the
other part specifying the SMS. The 3 messages are actually one message split
apart which are combined on the receiving device ('concatenated SMS').

It could be that the Palm OS can't handle one of three things:
- concatenated SMS's (which are a core component of GSM SMS)
- 8-bit SMS messages (picture message, custom ringtones, etc)
- the database might be only set to store 72x14 images

For example, a standard image (Nokia operator logo 72x14) will happily fit
into one SMS message, as will most ringtones. If these work but the picture
messages don't, then there is presumably a problem in the Palm OS when it
comes to handling concatenated SMS. You could test it by sending a logo from
a free website (if you can't find one, e-mail me and I can help you out) or
a short ringtone that you've composed on the 3390. If that works, you know
it's a problem with the SMS concatenation feature. If not, the 8-bit SMS
handling is ropey.

Alternatively, could it be that the database is set up to handle 72x14
standard images, when picture message logos are 72x28, and it might be
causing some kind of corruption when it tries to store the larger image?

If you want a bit more info feel free to e-mail. I haven't used a VisorPhone
before, but have used a Nokia or two ;)

Regards,
John