Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: IE 5.0 - Possible Cache Security Risk

From: Oliver Bleutgen <meinbugtraq () gmx net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 13:31:04 +0200

Disregard if this has discussed previously or is just a
misconfiguration..

Recently, when setting up an htaccess section on my website I noticed
that there is a caching problem with IE 5.0x.

Problem:
   When previously restricted site are accessed with an authenticated
login, users who open IE 5.0 and access the same sites, can "cancel"
the login prompt and the cached page will open up. Yes, you have to
keep doing this to view all the links, but we can obviously see the
problem.

No, not so obviously, because what you describe is just another
way of going straight to your on-disk-cache or viewing the files
in the cache settings of internet explorer.
After all, the people see only the saved version of a page which
was unrestricted at the time of saving.
So, it might be a problem of confusing the users, esp. if it's your
client: "Hey, but you said that this page cannot be seen from outsiders
anymore, but I just need to press cancel ....", but IMO it's surely
no security problem.

cheers,
oliver