Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: CodeGreen beta release (idq-patcher/antiCodeRed/etc.)

From: "Stanley G. Bubrouski" <stan () ccs neu edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 19:52:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, Herbert HexXer wrote:

hello guys ...
... i have been developing a code, that should patch the isdapi-filter
bufferoverflow vulnerability (the vulnerability CodeRed is exploiting) discovered
by eEye (walk through the code for details).

Another worm...lovely...

As I am on vacation tomorrow and I don?t have the time to exessively debug
the code, I posted this code here.

Why not just flee the country?

Perhaps some ppl might learn from this code (eventually someone could finish
what I began[debug/testing]).
Be sure to know what you are doing, as this code uses ?viral/worm?
techniques and could potentially cause damage.
THIS CODE IS DESIGNED FOR EDUCATIONAL PUPOSES ONLY;
REMEMBER THAT IT IS ONLY A BETA VERSION.
I will not take responsibility for any damage that might be caused by this
code.

Great.  A lack of responsibility is the cornerstone to microsoft's terms
of service, why should anyone expect any higher of it's users.

Be sure to have understood the code and it?s pupose before beginning to play
with it.

Tell that to the kids who unleash this and eat up bandwith on corporate
networks that expand all over the globe, believe it or not some companies
have routers failing because of bandwith issues dealing with Code
Red.  You also forgot that many companies restrict the rights of users on
machines so once they are infected, even if you download the patch it
might not be installable (I don't give a shit what user the exploit runs
as, so don't bother making it an issue).  And what if the patching
fails?  You've just infected a machine with a worm that searches out other
hosts to infect, even if it means well it will eat bandwith.

Feel free to modify the code at will, but don?t blame me, in case something
should not work like expected.

How about making a tool that patches machines and isn't a worm?

Aloah,
Der HexXer.

--
http://www.gmx.net

My opinionated 2 cents.  Yes I am a biggot.

Regards,

Stan

--
Stan Bubrouski                                       stan () ccs neu edu
23 Westmoreland Road, Hingham, MA 02043        Cell:   (617) 835-3284