Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: JAVA more insecure than true compiled code?

From: Hack Hawk <hugh () hackhawk net>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 10:49:37 -0800

At 05:17 AM 04/05/2002, steven.sporen () za pwcglobal com wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering what people's thoughts are regarding the security of code
written in JAVA, I recently reverse engineered a product with a freely
available JAVA decoder and found that it produced code with variable names
imports etc, making it very easy to find out how it hung together. Could
this be construed as a security flaw with JAVA?

I wouldn't call it a flaw, but its definitively a deterrent to using JAVA in certain situations.

Your comments are the *exact* reason why I use c/c++ instead of JAVA for certain applications. Of course I understand that binary executables compiled from c/c++ can be disassembled and reverse engineered too. But it is orders of magnitude more difficult to do, and there's far less people capable of doing such a thing.

James Washer said...
>> security-through-obscurity

The choice to use c/c++ instead of JAVA is in deed an choice to ADD obscurity on top of real security. Obscurity can be a good thing so long as it's not the ONLY thing your security relies on.

- hawk