Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: SSH2 Exploit?

From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne () winternet com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 05:53:22 -0600 (CST)

Where;s the copy of the binary here?  If others are to help in defining
what you thoink you found, do you not think it proper to put the file up
for review and auditing/debugging?

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, John Compton wrote:

Hi,

I recently had a break-in on a redhat linux system.  The attacker installed
what appears to be torn kit, but there was one thing which caught my
attention. I found a binary named "sshex" on the compromised system.  I
guess this is the exploit used to break in cause most of the servers here
are kept up-to-date.  The system was being used to actively scan for ssh
servers.

[root@testbox ]# ./sshex

7350ylonen - x86 ssh2 <= 3.1.0 exploit
dream team teso
usage: 7350ylonen [-hd] <-p port> <-t target> <-d packet_delay> host

RH 7.x - SSH-2.0-3.x SSH Secure Shell
RH 7.x - SSH-2.0-2.x SSH Secure Shell
RH 6.x - SSH-2.0-2.x SSH Secure Shell
Slack 8.0 - SSH-2.0-3.x SSH Secure Shell
SuSE-7.3 - SSH-2.0-3.x SSH Secure Shell
FreeBSD 4.3 - SSH-2.0-3.x SSH Secure Shell
FreeBSD 4.3 - SSH-2.0-2.x SSH Secure Shell

It tries to connect to port 22 when I target localhost, but I can't tell if
sshd is crashing or not as I can't use gdb to attach to the process in time.
  The only SSH vulnerabilities I could find affected SSH1 servers, or
OpenSSH.  Has anyone else found this exploit on their systems or know
something about it?

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
        ***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.