Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: RealPlayer Buffer Problem

From: Ben Ford <ben () kalifornia com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 20:25:15 -0800

tmorgan-security () kavi com wrote:

Plays just fine on a RedHat7.2 box.

hmm, what version of RealPlayer are you running?  You are actually
the first to tell me it plays fine.  Have you tried making other
similar alterations to the file?  It won't crash immediately if on a
particular version the buffer isn't located very close to the end of
the allocated memory.  It may crash after you re-open the file a few
times though, cause the overflow trashes the heap.

thanks
tim

I swear it did!! LOL, I can't get it to play anymore, but it did play through the whole file I downloaded from your site -- http://www.sentinelchicken.net/files/firstrun.rm -- (at least once!) Version is 8.0.3.421

-b

--
So, make a real effort to avoid getting sucked into all the expensive
lifestyle habits of typical Americans.  Because if you do that, then