Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Re[2]: Apache Exploit

From: SpaceWalker <spacewalker () altern org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 01:29:24 +0200

I took a look, and I was unable to send any of those two signals to apache during the faulty memcpy().

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:40:55 -0400 (EDT)
Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf () coredump cx> wrote:
This is not to say that delivering signals is not the way to exploit
problems like that - conditions that would otherwise lead directly to SEGV
because of access to non-allocated memory, for example. Quite
(un)fortunately, there are only two signals that could be perhaps
delivered to Apache (which, keep in mind, is running as a standalone
daemon) - SIGPIPE and SIGURG - that is, if they are not ignored and if the
handler does something interesting, which I'm not so sure about (but
haven't looked in a while).

--
Michal Zalewski [lcamtuf () bos bindview com] [security]
[http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx] <=-=> bash$ :(){ :|:&};: