Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Another flaw in Apache?

From: Alexander Yurchenko <grange () rt mipt ru>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 04:07:57 +0400

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 09:11:18PM +0200, Jedi/Sector One wrote:
  While playing with the SetEnv directive with Apache, I noticed that httpd
processes are dying with a signal 11 if the data stored in an environment
variable was too long.

Nice bug and easy to exploit. I've attached a piece of code which creates an
.htaccess file. Requesting a directory containing this file causes all
httpd daemons to die. Works on my OpenBSD 3.1-current.

--
 __  /*-      Frank DENIS (Jedi/Sector One) <j () 42-Networks Com>     -*\  __
 \ '/    <a href="http://www.PureFTPd.Org/";> Secure FTP Server </a>    \' /

--
   Alexander Yurchenko (aka grange)