Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Possible flaw in XFree?

From: mdonnelly <mdonnelly () kiscomputers net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 12:42:10 -0400

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, William N. Zanatta wrote:

Hi folks,

   Talking about some bad experiences with my friend, I discovered (he
told me) it is possible to abort a X session even when the screen is
locked by some kind of application like 'xlock'.

   I have made the following test:

   1. Logged into the system as 'william' (a normal non-privileged user).
   2. startx
   3. Run xlock
   ... the screen is now locked...
   4. Tried a hit on some keys. The password screen appears.
   5. Then, 'ctrl-alt-backspace' and voila... X is down and my console
is there, opened for me.

   I see this as a serious problem once one could let his/her X session
opened and locked and anyone who have access to that machine could abort
the X session and start playing around with the logged user's shell
(which could be the root shell).

   What about that?

   Tested on:
-------------------------------------
XFree86 Version 4.1.0 / X Window System
Release Date: 2 June 2001
         If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
         newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
         reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Build Operating System: Linux 2.2.19 i686 [ELF]
-------------------------------------

   Regards,

   William Zanatta

--
Perl combines all of the worst aspects of BASIC, C and line noise.
                 -- Keith Packard

This 'flaw' can be easily disabled though via XF86Config file.

From the XF86Config man page:

<snip>

Option "DontZap"  "boolean"
              This disallows the use of the Ctrl+Alt+Backspace sequence.
That
              sequence is normally used to terminate the X server. When
this
              option is enabled, that key sequence has no special meaning
and is
              passed to clients.  Default: off.

</snip>

--