Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Firewall and IDS, (the second way).

From: "Dom De Vitto" <Dom () DeVitto com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 09:17:15 -0000

http://www.securityfriday.com/promiscuous_detection_01.pdf

Is an excellent paper that details much safer, better ways.

Basically, my IP and MAC are:
e.g.
 217.169.21.113        00-e0-29-29-04-2d     dynamic
And so my NIC picks up the frame, passes to the OS which checks it's
destined for me, and OS responds accordingly.

But if I put a local arp entry of
 217.169.21.113        ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff
That the bcast, so the NIC still picks up the frame and the OS sees
it's a bcast and responds accordingly.

But oddly, all OSes match "looser" than the NIC, and some match a lot
"looser".
E.g. an arp entry of
 217.169.21.113        ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-fe
will allow peers to ping my box, if it's Linux or MS and in PROMISCIOUS
MODE.

In fact, from the one table they present you can send just THREE frames,
and detect if the host NIC is in prom. mode and also say if it's 9x, NT
or Linux.
(tests for Solaris, BSDs etc were not done)

Great paper, much better that flooding the network with crap in the hope
the NIC/OS can't cope (and many now *can* cope, easily)

Of course the best thing is that you can probably just send directed
RARPs,
which (I'd image) most IDSs don't have rules to spot...

;-)

Dom