Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: SSH2 Exploit?

From: Steve Wright <stevew () cwazy co uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 15:08:58 +0000

Just wondering if anyone knows more about this;
http://www.pine.nl/advisories/pine-cert-20020301.txt

( OpenSSH versions 2.0 - 3.0.2, Existing users will gain root privileges )

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, John Compton wrote:
Hi,

I recently had a break-in on a redhat linux system.  The attacker
installed what appears to be torn kit, but there was one thing which
caught my attention. I found a binary named "sshex" on the compromised
system.  I guess this is the exploit used to break in cause most of the
servers here are kept up-to-date.  The system was being used to actively
scan for ssh servers.

[root@testbox ]# ./sshex

7350ylonen - x86 ssh2 <= 3.1.0 exploit
dream team teso
usage: 7350ylonen [-hd] <-p port> <-t target> <-d packet_delay> host

RH 7.x - SSH-2.0-3.x SSH Secure Shell
RH 7.x - SSH-2.0-2.x SSH Secure Shell
RH 6.x - SSH-2.0-2.x SSH Secure Shell
Slack 8.0 - SSH-2.0-3.x SSH Secure Shell
SuSE-7.3 - SSH-2.0-3.x SSH Secure Shell
FreeBSD 4.3 - SSH-2.0-3.x SSH Secure Shell
FreeBSD 4.3 - SSH-2.0-2.x SSH Secure Shell

It tries to connect to port 22 when I target localhost, but I can't tell
if sshd is crashing or not as I can't use gdb to attach to the process in
time. The only SSH vulnerabilities I could find affected SSH1 servers, or
OpenSSH.  Has anyone else found this exploit on their systems or know
something about it?