Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Wlan @ bestbuy is cleartext?

From: pgut001 () cs auckland ac nz (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 17:23:54 +1200 (NZST)

Ron DuFresne <dufresne () winternet com> writes:

I think it does a disservice to the info-sec community to have people tasked
as 'security' aware administrators constantly doing thes rollouts and
constantly turning to the term VPN as a way to expand their security perimiter
and policy compliance outwards from the corporate boundries to the homes of
endusers and their cars on the road without a full understanding of what they
are doing to the defensive perimiters and security policies they are trusted
to maintain.

In my experience the admins frequently are well aware that the VPNs-everywhere
approach is unsound, but are overruled by management or accountants.  Those who
persist in raising concerns are labelled as troublemakers/non-team-players, and
sidelined in future decision-making.  Scare stories of this kind, while
unfortunate, may be one of the few ways of getting through to management.

Peter.