Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Possible cable modem denial of service ?

From: <skybuck2000 () hotmail com>
Date: 6 Sep 2002 08:00:20 -0000

This week I contacted my internet provider and we did some tests.

This time it took a few minutes before the modem stopped responding.

So you need to use the site www.vandale.nl a bit before the bug occurs.
( I did it by opening a second browser )

The internet provider also confirmed they had buffer issues.

So it might be that only dutch modems are effected or all motorola's are
effected.

So I think it could be exploited by writing a denial of service... which
sends a malformed tcp packet just like that site does.

What I am concerned about is if other sites start using the same software
(webserver?) like www.vandale.nl does.

Also if you know how to program a motorola surfboard you might be able to
write viruses or stuff like that.

Later...