Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

x509 cert parsing in web browsers

From: "Administrator Serwera TEK-ART" <admin () tek-art com pl>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 02:07:43 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: Administrator Serwera TEK-ART [mailto:admin () tek-art com pl]
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 12:31 AM
To: Michal Zalewski
Subject: RE: x509 cert parsing in web browsers

Well, it seems that I had the same problem.

Bad certificate error was produced by OpenSSL, and connection failed by
Netscape/Mozilla browser, while MSIE opened the secure pages correctly.

I have noticed, that some commercial servers based on commercial (e.g.
VeriSign) certificated are opened correctly by the browser. So it means,
that OpenSSL produces certificates ONLY MSIE compatible. Well, as far as I
think so :)

If you know, how I can produce an all-browser-compatible certificate using
my own CA and OpenSSL, I would be grateful for such an information.

SeeYa