Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: mac duplication

From: Peter Moody <peter () ucsc edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 20:32:19 -0800

By their very definition, MAC addresses are globally unique.  So there's no
'standard' behavior.
What a switch does when it sees a duplicated MAC is completely arbitrary...

This is not true.  It is indeed quite possible to change the MAC address
of a NIC, though it's not all that easy.  I've even heard of cards that
essentially search a local network for an unused MAC address (in a
particular range, I imagine) and grab one.

So yes, while MAC address are *supposed* to be globally unique, there is
no guarantee of this.

-Peter

--
Peter Moody                             <peter () ucsc edu>
Information Security Administrator      831/459.5409