Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: shellcode with standard characters

From: <andrewg () d2 net au>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:35:55 +1000 (EST)

You might want to look at http://packetstormsecurity.nl/UNIX/misc/asc.c,
which can generate ascii shellcode from binary shellcode.

Depending on the environment, a return to a libc jmp register may be
feasible to you. Potentially, http://www.phrack.org/show.php?p=59&a=7 may
be interesting to you, wrt jump codes. Then again, it may be straight
forward ;)

Hi!
This is my first post and I'm looking for some documentation.
A friend of mine has produced a segfault with malloc vulnerability on
an application.
We would like to produce something more interesting.
The field overflowed can accept only characters between 0 and 128. Any
other character is replaced with a whitespace.

Can we inject shellcode with only this characters avaible?
Can you suggest me documentation about shellcode writing?

Thanks a lot
JohnnyRun

--