Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

FW: Outlook HTML crash

From: Nate Nord <natenord () maximus com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:53:18 -0500

-------------------- >>>>>
Please post this to vuln-dev () securityfocus com

One of our users has discovered an interesting Outlook crash pertaining to
HTML e-mail.  I was wondering if anyone else has seen this.

The crash is pretty simple... reply to an HTML e-mail and throw in a bunch
of carriage returns and random characters in the previous e-mail space.
It seems to take only a few lines of this before Outlook crashes hard and
then closes.

This has been tested on several Outlook 2000 machines and it seems to work
every time.