Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Win32 Shellcode question.

From: sk <sk () scan-associates net>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 03:35:07 +0800

After the overflow, I can step through the NOP sled, and reach the above payload - meaning I have control over the CPU's exec path, and can make it execute my payload. However, I keep getting an "Access Violation" writing location.. error inside the "call eax" that corresponds with LoadLibrary("msvcrt").

It looks like to me that you should adjust the ESP first. If the ESP is just below your code, you may end up overwriting your own shellcode. Or if it is too near the beginning of a page, you wont get enough stack to work with. Adjusting ESP may help to fix the problem.

sk