Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: sample buffer overflow exploit problem

From: Ganbold <ganbold () micom mng net>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 09:07:23 +0900

Hi,

Thanks for reply. Host is not firewalled. I tested shellcode using function pointer. It works.

I'm debugging sample server daemon using gdb. When put wrong return address and place shellcode little bit before 1001 - sizeof(shellcode) in exploit I can see my shellcode and return address fully when I issue command x/200bx $esp-200.

But when I put correct return address I see part of my shellcode at the end of x/200bx $esp-200 command. I tried it so many ways, placing shellcodes in different place, choosing different return addresses etc. No result.

What should I do?

Ganbold

At 01:25 AM 9/30/2003 +0000, you wrote:

>You say that you can connect after the exploit, but then the connection gets

>dropped immediately afterwards... is there a firewall in place?

also could possibly be hitting partly into the shellcode(after nops, and in the middle of the shellcode), not fully processing the code correctly.