Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Run-time errors and JIT debuggers

From: EvilPacket <evilpacket () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:27:16 -0800

Greetings,

I am curious to know if there is a way to force a windows program that
crashes with a Run-time error, off to a JIT debugger. The situation is
I can consitantly provide a specific application with a certain string
and cause it to crash with a Run-time error (either 5, 13 or 91). (as
soon as the Author has a fix posted I will post it, but can't yet)

Essentially I'm trying to use this DoS that I found as a learning
oppertunity to see if I can learn how to extend the vulnerability into
more than just a DoS as well as learn more about the windows side of
things. I'm familier with debugging techniques on the unix side of
things, but am having troubles getting a foothold on Windows.

Any help, pointing to resources..etc would be great.

Thanks
Adam Baldwin
evilpacket () gmail com