Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Question on new umpnpmgr wsprinfW buffer overflow

From: A A <hd78432 () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 08:36:40 -0700 (PDT)

I have downloaded the available exploit for the latest
buffer overflow  for umpnpmgr.dll available on the
net.  Running the code umpnp_poc.c compiled out of the
box run against a windows xp sp1 box does not appear
to do anything.  I have attached windbg to the
services process , and when I execute the code for the
buffer overflow the debugger does not catch any
exeception.   I have tried modifying event filters in
windbg but the program still does not break at any
point.
 I do not have much experience in working with rpc
calls.    The exploit attempts to connect to
\\hostname\pipe\browser.  According to eeye you need
to connect to a different location than \pipe\browser.
 You need to connect to \pipe\ntsvcs (or a different
location, you can see the post on their site) and
reaching this area requires authentication.  Would it
be possible for someone to modify this example exploit
to show a working Win XP exploit?  Could someone
please point me in the direction of a paper that would
explain how the rpc portion of this exploit works?  I
understand how to buffer overflow a program, but it
looks like the example exploit isn't working in
Windows XP.  I need to figure out why, and I don't
know enough about rpc to be able to figure out why
this example exploit does not work in Windows XP.  If
anyone has used windbg to debug a windows process in
the past to locate a buffer overflow, please let me
know if any of the steps I have followed need to be
changed.  Any help greatly appreciated.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs