Vulnwatch mailing list archives

Re: xp sp2 weaknesses

From: hellNbak <hellnbak () nmrc org>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:05:50 -0500 (CDT)

I have a couple comments on this paper.

"The command shell cmd.exe ignores the ZoneID of files"

The ZoneID "feature" was built into Windows Explorer.  Not the command
shell.  So I can see why this would be ignored but I do agree with the
author that this is a bug.  The severity of it, in my opinion is quite low
as I do not see a legitimitate exploit path.  Any script pushed to the
system via the web or email would be marked with a ZoneID -- so how does
the attacker get it to launch from the command prompt and not via
explorer?  He can't.  Any remote execution will have to be pushed via the
internet or an email -- meaning the ZoneIDs will be processed -- even if
the first line of your script is cmd /c it won't work REMOTELY.

Now if you already have access to a command shell, or even local
acceess to a machine then yes, you can definately use this -- but if you
already have that level of access......blah blah best cough practices
cough blah...

The attack vector outlined in the paper is as follows;

"Attack vector

Exploitation of this issue reqeuires some user interaction -- at least as
long as nobody comes up with a way to execute cmd.exe with parameters from
within Outlook Express or Internet Explorer. But viruses doing "social
engeneering" are a common place by now. Bagle & Co asked users to enter a
password to decode encrypted attachments. Therefore a virus author could
create an e-mail worm like this:

Attached: access.gif

Hello,

attached you find the copy of your access data you
requested. For security reasons, the file is scrambled
and can only be viewed with cmd. To view it, save the
attached file, execute "cmd" from the start menu,
drag&drop the file into the new window and hit
return. cmd will descramble the file for you.  "

Yes, this would work, providing your user is at a level that they
understand how to actually launch a command prompt and providing that
eventhough they have a slight clue on how to use their computer they are
completely trusting of random emails that ask them to do this.... hmmm ok,
maybe it is likely... ;-)

An easy solution to this are some simple best practices and host security
measures that we all know every responsible IT organization uses right?
*cough* *cough*

Issue 2;

"Windows Explorer caches the result of ZoneID lookups. If a file is
overwritten, Explorer does not properly update this cached information to
reflect the new ZoneID. This allows spoofing of trusted or non-existant
ZoneIDs by overwriting files with trusted or non-existent ZoneIDs."

This one has interesting potential.  But, as the author of the paper at
Heise Security says;  "Exploiting this issue requires the ability to overwrite
existing files which have a trusted or non-existant ZoneID."

So I would consider this an issue that should be fixed but nothing that is
super high risk yet.  But once the next batch of IE flaws are disclosed
this one may prove to be useful in variations of attacks we have seen
before.

Overall, I think Microsoft is missing the boat with their response to
these issues.  Sure, right now they are low risk but there is a very
likely chance that they can  be leveraged later.

I haven't seen this report here yet.

Flaws in SP2 security features

1) The command shell cmd.exe ignores the ZoneID of files.
2) Windows Explorer caches the result of ZoneID lookups. If a file is
overwritten, Explorer does not properly update this cached information
to reflect the new ZoneID. This allows spoofing of trusted or
non-existant ZoneIDs by overwriting files with trusted or non-existent
ZoneIDs.

Cheers,

Richie