WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Web App Sec ROI

From: securityarchitect () hush com
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 11:13:10 -0800

Hmmm....maybe so for a mom and pops fish and bait shop but not for a real e-commerce site.

Heres my thinking of some of the steps that need to take place;

Investing incident and drafting writen report and recomendation
Invoking the incident response team
Reporting to senior management
Invoking corporate communications to prepare press statement
Report to FBI
Determine and recomend appropriate fix
Incident response team agree appropriate plan of action
Investigate incident (source etc)
Intigate fix
Test fix in dev
Test fix in QA
Test Fix in Pre-Prod
Fix in Prod
De-Brief

And thats just of the top of my head.

The best reports I have seen that make really good reading are from GOCSI and SANS.

www.gocsi.com/press/20020407.html

says 223 companies reported $455,848,000 costs in losses.

This SANS report http://rr.sans.org/malicious/cost_code.php references some great reports that say $1 in prevention
will save on average between $100 to $1000 in incidents.