WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: "Forgot Password" function

From: "William Bartholomew" <william () orlitech com au>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 06:54:10 +1000

The simple solution to this problem is to actually generate a new
password for the user and email them that instead and force them to
change it on the first login. That achieves a few security goals:

1. The password does not need to be stored in clear-text.

2. The emailed password is only useful for one login.

3. If the user tries to login with the password they were emailed and it
doesn't work they can assume someone else is accessing their account.

Regards,

William Bartholomew
Internet Developer
Orli-TECH Pty Ltd
"Your Innovative e-Business Partner"

Web:   http://www.orlitech.com.au
Email: william () orlitech com au
Phone: +61 7 3292 0220
Fax:   +61 7 3292 0221

Visit our online store http://www.instantit.com.au

This electronic communication (including any attached files) may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information and is only intended
for the viewing purposes of the person to whom it is addressed. If you
are not the intended recipient, you do not have permission to read, use,
disseminate, distribute, copy or retain any part of this communication
or its attachments in any form. If you receive this email in error,
please contact us on +61 7 3292 0222 or by email and delete all copies.