WebApp Sec mailing list archives

"Forgot Password" function

From: "Brecrost Jones" <brecrost () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 11:31:30 -0600

I'm looking for opinions on the most secure way to implement a "Forgot my password" function for a website. I know that having this feature is probably an inherent security risk, but __assuming that it is a required feature__ what would be the most secure way to implement it?

Is the "enter your email address and we'll mail you the password" the best way to go? As far as I can tell, it's the most common. But I'm not sure if I'm comfortable sending the password in a clear text email message.

I don't really like the "secret question" method either, since if someone can get the question, they may be able to guess the answer.

Are there other methods out there? Has anyone come up with a novel solution that is more secure?

Thanks for any input.

Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access! http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/default.asp