WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: XSS

From: "Jeff Williams @ Aspect" <jeff.williams () aspectsecurity com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:57:47 -0500

Matt is exactly right here. Even web sites with no storage can be
susceptible to really serious XSS attacks.  These attacks are simply
reflected off a vulnerable server.  We've been calling these 'external
XSS' attacks -- because the attack is never stored on the vulnerable web
server.

Can anyone think of any differences between 'persistent' and 'external'
XSS attacks in terms of the damage they can cause?  They are definitely
different in terms of the difficulty of launching the attack (external XSS
may even be easier!) -- but the consequences are the same right?  If
that's true then 'external XSS' would represent a more serious risk than
the persistent variety.

--Jeff

Jeff Williams
jeff.williams () aspectsecurity com